Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Getting Ready

In just a few weeks I will be winging my way to Houston to teach at Artist Expo again! This year I will be teaching silk dyeing and it looks like I will have a very full class - 30 have signed up so far! There are a lot of things to do to get ready for an event such as this. The silk & dye is ordered and should be here sometime this week. I ordered business cards that will double as care instructions on the back - all that silk has to be cared for properly. Then there is all the miscellaneous details to deal with to get a booth ready - product, booth samples, the physical booth, etc. I will be trying out a new system for taking money this year with a square reader attached to my phone. Sometimes it's just the little things. The silk dyeing is really fun and I am trying to create some special pieces for the booth. I also want to wear as much silk as I can to show off the versatility of this medium. Here are jackets I just finished to wear in Houston. The first is hand dyed silk noil with dragonflies stamped on using fabric paint. It is so soft and lightweight I can see wearing this year round even here in Florida. The second is a lighter dupioni (way more expensive!) with a lovely sheen to the fabric. There may or may not be water lilies handpainted on it in the future - time will tell. This jacket is a bit longer with a longer sleeve.

No comments: