Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Waste Not, Want Not 28/30

There are times when I work a piece of art exclusively from start to finish. And there are times, like now, when I have multiple pieces of art started all at once. This time I started 6 different pieces on the same day!! There is glass, wood basecoated, tags Gelli printed, watercolor background, stamping, and paint skins. Today I want to show you my paint skins. Recently, when I was in Houston for Artist Expo, I found this wonderful new (to me) palette that is non-stick. Since I use a dry palette for some paint applications I thought I would give it a try. It wasn't until I got it home that I realized this would be perfect for Gelli printing! I normally clean my brayer by rolling over a piece of scrapbook paper or other surface with the intention of reusing in other work. I remembered seeing another artist use paint peelings from her work table in some mixed media art a long time ago. If the paint will peel off this palette then I will have my own paint peelings. So I used the new palette to clean my brayer and let it build up over a couple of sessions of Gelli printing. While I was working on some other work the paint was allowed to dry a couple of days so the heavier areas would be totally dry. Using a very thin palette knife I was able to slide under an edge of the dried paint and gently work a large enough area free to peel the paint off the palette. I had enough layers of paint on the palette that it peeled off in very large sections. The green/gold photo was the top of the paint. The red section shows what was underneath. Wait until you see what you do with these!

No comments: