The next step was to thin some Ultramarine Blue (DecoArt Traditions) and start at the other end of the canvas, dripping & slapping on some paint, spraying with water to diffuse and create even more runs, then spatter on some alcohol for even more holes. Once this dried, I decided to pull in the big easel. This canvas is quite a bit bigger than I usually work! I took some Raw Umber (DA Traditions) and based in a few long undulating frond shapes, then drew in some lines of Raw Sienna (DA Traditions) to get some veiny texture started.
Here is a photo of the canvas sitting on the easel so you can see how large this is - canvas is 24" x 48" - probably one of the largest I have ever worked on!